Y.W.P.B

A poem about the experience of being non-binary.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I don’t seem to fit
Easily into categories
I’m a living contradiction
Too much, too little
Of one thing
Or another
My brain doesn’t work in boxes
But open fields and curved lines
My mind pales
In the wake
Of male and female
I’m a little bit of both
But not enough of either
I seem to fail your tests
Of what is normal
As if there’s a formal agreement
I mean
I’m fine with it
But you’re not
So I’ll give it a shot
To explain
It’s like a song I know
Too Normal, Too Weird
Well I’m
Too pink for the blue
Too blue for the pink
But you don’t think
It can be that way
You don’t understand
But of course
You can’t understand
When your perspective
Is pink
And blue
But I don’t need you to
I just need you to
Open your eyes
Recognise
That’s there’s more to your spectrum of colours
Than the ones you knew
So I’ll wait a few
Seconds, hours, days, years
Until you do
I’m patient
I’m used to my perspective
Being yellow, white, purple and black
And the rest like me
And the other colours
Are on track
To take back
What we’ve been neglected
An existence where the word ‘normal’
Means human
More than woman, enby or man
Even if you don’t believe
Or don’t want it to happen
I’ll hold out that it can
Because I’m a stubborn fuck
Who loves human-kind
Even if the kind they like
Isn’t mine


Comments