Foundation


I would write a poem
to tell you how I feel,
but the words have gotten lazy;
Barely strung together
by aching fingers
and exhausted thoughts
on a foundation that is crumbling
beneath the weight
of hate
and jealousy
and uncertainty.
It stands
only a few flights tall,
missing bricks
next to pristine skyscrapers;
Certified landmarks
whilst I’m certified safe.
That's not enough,
not to be remembered.
But the longer I hold it up
the more it hurts.
The slower I am.
The higher they get.
And every time I look up
I lose a few more bricks.

Maybe it’s time
to scrap the foundations
and start over
with new blueprints.
Something that can stand
without the both of us breaking.

Or maybe it’s time
to accept defeat
and stay grounded,
lest I keep looking up
at the skyscrapers
only to find myself falling.

Comments