Reap What You Sow

Another night,
I couldn't sleep.
I didn't weep
as the overflow
took my hands.
I complied to its demands.
Just a little chore;
Rake the leaves
across my arms.
Ignore the harm
it does
to the environment.

Numb.
Raw.
I saw to it
to keep going.
Sowing seeds
of pain.
Water them with bloody rain,
so they'll sprout
fields and fields
of attention seeking grain.

Weeds I did not want.
When the harvest was done,
all they did was taunt.

Too late now to help.
Stayed up another hour,
stitching up the scratched up seams.
Bandage, band aid,
pins and needles.
Tuned out to reddit.
Fingers feeble.
Numb now to the sting.
I'd softly sing,
guessing if it'll leave a mark.
Once patched up
with blankets of fake soil,
in the bed of dirt for which I toiled,
I went back to the dark.

Tried again to go to sleep.

And yet,
I still can't weep.

Comments