The Vase I Was Holding


I broke the vase I was holding behind my back.

I could have put it down
kept it steady and sound.
It’s still at risk of tipping,
bodies clipping the edge
and causing it to tumble.
The risk of fumble
is still there.
But it’s where
we can all be aware,
and keep a careful eye.

Even just to hold it front,
and hold it close
if that’s what you chose,
then they could still see it.
A flash,
a hint,
covering cracks, 
but leave enough
so you admit
to the trouble you have holding it.

But I held mine behind.
Stretching arms,
shaking
pay no mind
to the man behind the curtain.
Tell me more,
about the ones we see,
the certain.
Those vases need more care.
A little rusty,
chipped,
worn,
a flair
of years of trauma.
I grew warmer to these vases,
and I ignored my own.
We talked about the edges,
sharp and out of reach,
through my gritted teeth,
as the ones behind my back
dug right through the skin.
Exhaustion setting in,
it took over my behaviour
overwhelming senses,
turning into senselessness,
turning into carelessness.
The ones with open vases
pushed me back.

No one could guess it.
Not many saw it.
Not when I dropped it.


I broke the vase I was holding behind my back.

I tried to clean it up.

Stepping through the scattered cracks.

It hurts.

Stuffing pieces under shirts.

I’ll worry about that later.

What did you say about your outfit?

Keep talking as I sweep this-

Oh, that little piece?

Shit, there’s one I miss-

What, that scratch I got?

Don’t worry.

You weren’t meant to see it.

Comments