The Knight's Fury


Fury is not unknown to me.
It manifests in times of crisis
and I find it’s far
and few between
the times it’s actually seen.

When someone’s died
or hurt
or wronged
it won’t be long
before this knight's on guard.
Don my devil horns
and angel’s armour,
for I’ve sworn
I won’t be calmer
until the threat is barred
and banished from our realm.

A child before a dragon.
A friend before a foe.
A lover before themselves.
So be it.
I land the final blow.
I live to serve by instinct.
No need for the castle
nor the hassle
or for you to be distinct
about the things I’ve done.
As long as you are safe,
then I have won.

But when the knight’s alone,
at home
no visible threat at hand,
I’m unable to resist.
When, for unknown reason
the fury still persists.

No outlet.
No villain to berate
No evil to condemn to fate.
Just a wall
of unrelated words
from nobles in their castles
and no sort of hassle
with them.

It’s where I want to be
is with them.

Staring down from the parapet

How can I be like them?

Claustrophobia talking.

I can’t bear to replace them.

Knuckles bruised from punching walls.

I just want to be near them!

Desperately holding back my hands.
Connected by a string.
The strands 
that swing them 
jerk them back and forth,
from pills within the drawer
to the needle of the shelf.
They seek to destroy myself.

I feel
the fury setting in,
and I think I finally see
where the threat 
seems to be.


And it hits me.


A wave of denial.


For a while
all I can do
is scream.
Scratch.
No tact.
Punch the walls.
Think about anything else,
so I don’t admit the fact
it’s useless
to fight back.

I couldn’t see before
but someone has been wronged.
Someone has been hurt.
Someone here has died
and the funeral’s been prolonged.

I’m not the knight.

The knight is gone.

I’m the ghost,
unable to move on.
The one who happened
to come upon
their armour.
No intention there to harm the
body stuck inside.
I just want to hide.

Struggling to stay
in possession
as the instability
breeds aggression.
Because even one expression
of the truth
would be
the end
of what I thought was me.

Comments