Watering Dead Roses


Three vases worth of roses.
I found them by the door, barely sheltered
in the rain;
I took them in to drain,
then watered them again.

They found homes in cups and coffee pots,
catching lots and lots
of petals
and lots and lots
of thorns.
My room was torn apart
to give them all the space
for all the light.
And for once,
everything was bright.

That silky red
had managed
to thread my thoughts together.
I kept them on display
during periods of good weather.

As part of my routine,
I made sure they were seen.
Kept them fed
watered
happy
pruned
and clean.

My efforts were not
in vain.
For all the times
a thorn had caused me pain,
we nipped it in the bud
and carried on again.
The scent was sweet;
it soothed my nerves.
The petals were soft;
I loved their curves
around my finger
and the way their visage
would linger
as I drifted off to sleep.

But the longer that they lived,
the harder they were to keep.

Soon enough
I missed a day,
then two
then three,
four
and five.
I started to wonder
If they ever were alive.

How were they supposed to thrive
when these roses came unrooted?

It got more convoluted.
The colours got more muted
and by the end
it’s undisputed
that I was just
watering dead roses.


*

As the remains are taken out,
I regret they couldn't sprout.


But I least I have the pictures.


All of them sitting in my room;
both of us together in full bloom.

Comments